How to get your real estate license in Washington State

The real estate profession has expanded and offers one of the widest career selections in the business world today. A career in real estate provides flexibility and freedom to set your own pace. Income directly reflects your efforts, with no limits on what astute, hard-working men and women can earn. Successful people in real estate are goal-oriented, persevering, self-motivated, ambitious and people-oriented. The rewards of a real estate career are a potential for high earnings, status in the community, autonomy, time freedom, helping people, the intellectual challenge and the satisfaction from those accomplishments.

If you think real estate is right for you, here is the requirements and steps you need to take to get your real estate license in Washington State.

Requirements

To qualify for a broker’s license, you must:

• Be at least 18 years old.
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
  • Successfully complete 90 hours of approved real estate education within 2 years before applying for the exam. This education must include:
    • A 60-hour course in Real Estate Fundamentals.
    • A 30-hour course in Real Estate Practices.
  • Pass the broker’s exam.

Study for broker’s exam

RE PracticesRE FundamentalsYou need to complete 90 hours of real estate education before taking your broker’s exam.  Included in this 90 hours is a 60-hour course in Real Estate Fundamentals which provides an overview of the theoretical and practical aspects of real estate. Another included course is Real Estate Practices which is 30 hours and provides an overview of the practical, day-to-day aspects of the real estate business. It teaches the essential skills that Washington real estate agents must master, including: working with clients, pricing property, complying with fair housing laws, filling out necessary agreements, handling offers and counteroffers, prequalifying buyers, and guiding transactions through the closing process.

To complete your education, you can choose from a variety of online and class based schools. Here is our recommendations in the state of Washington.

1- Windermere Professional Development Cost: $399 windermereu.com
2- Rockwell Institute Cost: $489 rockwellinstitute.com

Schedule your broker’s exam graduate

Before you complete your course, you must register as a student with DOL testing vendor, Applied Measurements Professionals, Inc. (AMP), so your school can submit your course completion information electronically. To register as a student with AMP click here and follow the instructions.

• Your school must submit your course completions to AMP electronically to complete the examination registration process.
  • After your school submits your education information to AMP, schedule your exam online, by phone, or by mail. To schedule online: Go to www.goAMP.com.

For more information visit dol.wa.gov.

Apply for your Washington Real Estate Broker License

1. Complete the Real Estate License Application form.
  2. Submit your completed application with a check or money order for the fee ($138.25 as of Nov. 2016), payable to the Department of Licensing, to:
    Real Estate Licensing
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 3917
    Seattle, WA 98124-3917
  3. Submit fingerprints for state and national background checks.
    • Inside Washington:
      • Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through MorphoTrust, DOL’s electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.
    • Outside Washington:
      • Call Real Estate Regulatory at 360.664.6484 for fingerprint card submission instructions.
    • For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.

We wish you good luck in the process. Please don’t hesitate to contact us, should you have any questions or need any further information.

Sources: dol.wa.govrealtor.orgrockwellinstitute.com, amazon.com

Posted on November 23, 2016 at 2:44 pm
Bellevue Commons | Category: Washington Real Estate License | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

45 responses to “How to get your real estate license in Washington State”

1. cass says:

Where can I find realtor license classes for; the real estate fundamental, and real estate practices?

• Bellevue Commons says:

Thank you for your comment. These are two places to get your license. Once you pass your exam and hang your license in a real estate office, then you can become a member of National Association of Realtors.
      1- Windermere Professional Development Cost: $399 windermereu.com
      2- Rockwell Institute Cost: $489 rockwellinstitute.com

2. Suzanna Chen says:

I am a out of state broker ?
    How can I become the broker in Washington State?
    What kind of classes do I need to take to pass the test ?
    Thanks
    Suzanna

3. Rachel Long says:

Very informative

4. Maria Teresa Aristizabal says:

I’m realtor in f lorida may licence is ready to Washington State?

• Bellevue Commons says:

Hi Maria, Thank you for your question. You would need to get the Washington State Real Estate License to be able to sell Real Estate at Washington State. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

5. Tracy Turner says:

Do you have to live in Washington to get a Washington Real Estate license? Can you have Real Estate licenses in more than one state?

• Bellevue Commons says:

Hi Tracy, You do not need to live in the State to hold a WA State RE License. And, Yes, You can have a RE License in Multiple States. Please let us know if you have any questions.

6. Nancy L Almo says:

If I was licensed for 30 years as a real estate agent and let it go in 2008, what do I have to do to get my license?

• Bellevue Commons says:

Hi Nancy, You would need to go through the licensing process as a New Licensee which would involve the 90 clock hours and testing. Please let us know if you have any questions.

7. Ricardo Luis Franco says:

I have a Real Estate License in Texas since September 2017. Can I take classes online and then get my Real Estate License for WA? I am a USAF Veteran, do I get any discounts? I plan to move to Bellingham, WA near eXp Realty LLC there.

Do I need to retake the National portion of the Real Estate Exam?

Texas License 693872

Realtor® at eXp Realty LLC

Phone 512-815-0142

8. Ross Kain says:

I am a U.S. citizen currently residing in Canada. I am considering pursuing a real estate license in Washington state. Would I be allowed to work as a realtor in Washington while my primary residence is in Canada?

Ross,
      Thank you for your inquiry. Please contact Washington State’s Department of Licensing to get more information on this:
      DOL Contact information
      Licensing Unit:
      Phone: 360.664.6488 or 360.664.6500
      Fax: 360.586.0998
      Email: RealEstate@dol.wa.gov

9. Danielle says:

I can still do online course even if I live in WA? What are the prices for the entire course?

Danielle,
      Yes, you can study the courses online. To complete your education, you can choose from a variety of online and class based schools. Here is our recommendations in the state of Washington.

1- Windermere Professional Development | Cost: $399 | windermereu.com
      2- Rockwell Institute | Cost: $489 | rockwellinstitute.com

10. Lonnie Divination Garcia-Acierto says:

Hi …I’m a licensed real estate broker from the Philippines. My brother is an immigrant in Washington state who is encouraging me to take the reb exam in Washington. Can I be qualified to take the exam? What are the requirements for the course online and how much does it cost? Thank you

Hi Lonnie,
      Thank you for your question. Anyone can take the exam, but you most likely need to have permit to work in the U.S.? You can call the WA State DOL directly for more information. Their website is as follows: http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/realestate/
      These are the requirements to take the exam:

To qualify for a broker’s license, you must:

Be at least 18 years old.
      Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
      A 60-hour course in Real Estate Fundamentals.
      A 30-hour course in Real Estate Practices.
      Pass the broker’s exam.

The course costs between $400 to $500 based on the school you pick. Two examples are stated on this article.
      1- Windermere Professional Development | Cost: $399 | windermereu.com
      2- Rockwell Institute | Cost: $489 | rockwellinstitute.com
      The exam costs $138.25.

Good Luck!

11. Amber says:

Hi,

I wanted to get some more information about the cases in which you do and don’t need to get a real estate license. I am looking to start a service where I find rental apartments for clients/ prospective tenants in Seattle, but I am not looking to be an agent/ broker for specific properties. Would I most likely be a tenant rep? In these cases, people would tell me the type of apartment they’re looking for, location, prices etc and I would look through listings to find then what I think would be great options for them. I’d then get pictures if necessary/ or schedule tours and connect them with the building to do leasing and all other paperwork. Do I need a license in this case? If so, what type? If I am hoping to charge for this service; does that change whether or not I need a license? Thanks so much for your help!

12. Wendy says:

Hello,

Is there only one type of real estate license in Washington state? Because in other states there are real estate agent license and real estate brokers license.

13. Rashmi says:

Can a visa holder or a non immigrant also become a real estate agent or does it have to be only a US citizen?

Hi Rashmi,

As far as we know Permanent Residents (Green Card Holders) can also get a real estate license in the state of Washington. If you would like to get more information on other types of visas, please contact DOL.com.

14. Ana says:

Hi, I live in Ohio and i’m a permanent resident.
    I want to move in Washington. Can i apply for the license after I will move over there or should I wait to be a resident first?

Hi Ana,

It will work either way. You don’t have to be a resident in the state of Washington to get your real estate license. However, you will need to take the exam in Washington state. So if you have not moved yet, you will need to take a trip to do so. We hope that answers your question.

15. Alex says:

I have passed the real estate exam and scheduled my appointment to have my fingerprints recorded. Do I need to find a designated brokerage to work under prior to applying for my license?

16. Andrea Suraci says:

Can a person who has been secretary in a real estate/property management office qualify to be a managing broker after clock hours and taking exam?
    Can a Managing Broker run a real estate/property management office or must the office have a designated broker?

Hi Andrea,

1- Per Washington Law WAC 308-124A-713 item (7) , you would need 5 years experience in real estate property management to satisfy the State’s experience requirements.
      2- Any real estate office is required to have a designated broker. A managing broker can also be a designated broker.

We hope we have answered your questions. To see all the requirements to become a managing broker, refer to DOL.com.

Good Luck!

17. Marie Phan says:

What is the difference between a real estate liscense and real estate brokerage liscense?

Hi Marie,

The real estate license is for those who would like to start their business in real estate without any prior experience. After getting their license, they will have to join a real estate brokerage. Real estate brokerage license is for those with real estate experience who would like to open a real estate brokerage. We hope this answers your question. For further questions please refer to DOL.com.

18. Runze says:

which online course is better?
    Windermere Professional Development or Rockwell Institute?

Hello Runze,
      Thank you for your question. We suggest that you review both their website. They have course demos that you can watch. Windermere Professional Development also has free trials that you can check and see if the program is right for you. We cannot advise you on choosing between the two. It’s totally a personal preference. Good Luck!

19. Steven Sorensen says:

I took my classes for the Real Estate exam and finished all of those in California but didn’t take the test. I just now moved to Washington and would like to take my test here.. do I have to pay for the classes all over?

Hi Steven,
      Welcome to Washington State. If you had your California License, you would only had to study the Washington State portion of the courses. For further information, please contact Education Unit of DOL at 360.664.6505 or ReEducation@dol.wa.gov. They might have a solution for your situation. Good Luck!

20. Brittany says:

HI there,
    I am interested in getting my real estate license in Washington State then go directly into flipping houses. Is there a requirement in WA state that mandates you to work under a company for a certain amount of hours? Or can i get the license and start my own company directly after?

Hi Brittany,
      In order to start a company you will need to get your Firm License from DOL and must appoint one managing broker as the designated broker who has controlling interest in the firm. “Controlling interest” means the designated broker has the ability to control the operational and/or financial decisions in the firm. You cannot be the designated broker unless you have a managing broker license. In order to have a managing broker license you will need to provide proof you have at least 3 years of full-time experience as an active real estate broker, or other qualifying experience as described in WAC 308-124A-713. We hope we have answered your question. Please refer to DOL.com for more information.

21. Emily Barber says:

These are not the only 2 course options correct? I signed up for 360 training before I read this and want to make sure that I am not putting in 90 hours for something that wont count.

Hi Emily,

Thank you for your question. No these are just 2 suggestions. You can get your training from any institutions you like. Good Luck!

22. Daniela says:

How many hours will I need to work and be present at the office, such as Windermere on a daily basis? Trying to figure out the type of flexibility this career would provide.

Hi Daniela,

Great question! Being a real estate agent is like owning your own business. So you can choose your own schedule. However, to be a successful real estate broker, you would need to look at it as a full time job. Each office might have their own policies, but our office would like to see their agents show up to our weekly office meetings, or events, or training classes; especially if you are new to the business. I hope we have answered your question. Good Luck!

23. Travis says:

Hello,

I am currently studying for the real estate broker exam. After I complete the examination and pass all the other requirements to obtain my license does this mean I am a legal broker and can now have my own business, make 100% commissions and hire my own real estate agents and other people required to run a real estate business?

Hi Travis,

The answer is No. In order to start a company ans hire brokers you will need to get your Firm License from DOL and must appoint one managing broker as the designated broker who has controlling interest in the firm. “Controlling interest” means the designated broker has the ability to control the operational and/or financial decisions in the firm. You cannot be the designated broker unless you have a managing broker license. In order to have a managing broker license you will need to provide proof you have at least 3 years of full-time experience as an active real estate broker, or other qualifying experience as described in WAC 308-124A-713. We hope we have answered your question. Please refer to DOL.com for more information.